Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) Tools: Lookup by Postcode
MHCLG Open Data offers a variety of ways to find data. There are two additional tools for the Indices of Multiple Deprivation:
- The IMD by Authority Area lookup tool
- The IMD by Postcode lookup tool
This guide walks through the Postcode Lookup tool. For the Area Lookup tool, see this guide
First, go to the tool's web page http://imd-by-postcode.opendatacommunities.org/. This is linked from the MHCLG Open Data home page.
Now enter the postcode(s) you’re interested in in the text box. If you have more than one postcode, you can list them (separating them by commas or new lines). If you have a file of postcodes then you can upload it to the site (one postcode per line). In this example, we've entered a postcode in the box:
Select the ‘Get Deprivation Data’ green button and you'll be taken to a page with a summary of how many postcodes the tool matched from your input, and you can choose to download data as a CSV or Excel file.
Back to upload takes us to the previous screen, where you can try different postcodes.
- Go to: http://imd-by-postcode.opendatacommunities.org/
- We enter postcodes in a list, or upload postcodes from a file
- We select ‘Get Deprivation Data’
- We can either download our results in Excel or CSV format
To continue exploring MHCLG’s datasets, return to opendatacommunities.org